Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Skin I Live In




As an avid lover of all things Pedro Almodovar (yes, I even saw the Broadway musical version of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown), I was beyond excited to see his latest movie marvel, The Skin I Live In. To my dismay a fellow Almodovar adorer warned me that it was not his best work - and so I went into the film with bated expectation. But boy were they wrong!

The film is a little less flamboyant than some other Almodovar classics - but the suspense, creep, and chaos were right on point. The non linear plot line was true to the director's style, yet the film was easier to follow than some of his other more complexly woven story lines. Without giving too much away, let me just say that the characters were enthralling, the cinematography was visually spectacular, and the plot was mind bendingly f*ed up.

Antonio Banderas is wonderful in his role as a tortured and torturous plastic surgeon who is avenging the tragedies of his past by manipulating the creation of a new present. The beautiful Spanish actress, Elena Anaya, was a great surprise as a leading "lady". She was a refreshingly calming force considering the women of Almodova's films are usually loud, boisterous and teeming with Latin spice.

Banderas and Anaya together made for one of the most beautiful on screen pairings I have seen in a while. Although the circumstance of their romance is beyond twisted, the duo were impossibly gordious to watch. I mean, just look at them!

No comments:

Post a Comment